Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Infinite Power of Hope (President Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

"Hope is not knowledge,17 but rather the abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill His promise to us. It is confidence that if we live according to God’s laws and the words of His prophets now, we will receive desired blessings in the future.18 It is believing and expecting that our prayers will be answered. It is manifest in confidence, optimism, enthusiasm, and patient perseverance."



(The beginning of a couple lists that probably ought to be added to over time.)

Things I hope "for" (things in the future)


  1. A way to support my family, at this time when I am out of work
  2. A way to build a long-term stability to support my family, including children and grandchildren.
  3. My ability to overcome the natural man
  4. A remission of all my sins
  5. That each of our children, including the son and daughter that are married to our son and daughter, will find happiness in their families and in their jobs.

Things I hope "in"

  1. The atonement of Jesus Christ
  2. The power of faith
  3. The power of the priesthood
  4. The tender mercies of our God
  5. The constant companionship of the Holy Ghost

"There may be times when we must make a courageous decision to hope even when everything around us contradicts this hope. Like Father Abraham, we will “against hope [believe] in hope.”30 Or, as one writer expressed, “in the depth of winter, [we find] within [us] an invincible summer.”31"

"With Nephi I declare: “Press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.”39"

I think I have always been hopeful, with bright expectation for the future. It is probably rooted in my being more oriented to what could be than what is. Today, the thing that weighs most on us is finding work. Even with no firm offers, I am fairly calm and at peace.

  • We are working in faith to put together prospects and projects and doing what we can.
  • God knows we need work.
  • We have paid our tithing.
  • We are magnifying our callings.
  • We are responding to the promptings as we receive them.
  • We have the faith and prayers of friends and family on our behalf.
  • I have increased my "study, ponder, and pray" time

I have hope that it will all work out, and I allow where it may work out in ways that we would necessarily choose. We may lose the house. We may have to move away from AZ. But I am confident and hopeful that we will always be within the warmth of our Heavenly Father's love.

No comments: