Wednesday, October 22, 2008

You Know Enough (Elder Neil L. Andersen)

"Brothers and sisters, we each have moments of spiritual power, moments of inspiration and revelation. We must sink them deep into the chambers of our souls. As we do, we prepare our spiritual home storage for moments of personal difficulty. Jesus said, “Settle this in your hearts, that ye will do the things which I shall teach, and command you.”3



"Faith is not only a feeling; it is a decision. He would need to choose faith."



We do not know everything, but we know somethings, and that is enough. It is enough to exercise faith. As Alma said, to plant the seed and perhaps to do nothing more than to desire.



But we all know more than that. We know enough to choose to obey, to follow the commandments, to follow the counsel of the prophets. We all know enough to resist the devil, to flee temptations, to come out of Babylon. Knowing isn't the problem or the critical part, at least not alone.



The critical moment is when we choose to act on the knowledge we have, in faith. We don't know everything. We don't know the outcome. We don't know the end of the story. We don't know how to solve our challenges. But we know enough to exercise faith and to follow the Savior.



D&C 50:24 That which is of God is alight; and he that breceiveth clight, and dcontinueth in God, receiveth more elight; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.



Alma 12:9-11

9 And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to aknow the bmysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart conly according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.

10 And therefore, he that will aharden his heart, the same receiveth the blesser portion of the word; and he that will cnot harden his heart, to him is dgiven the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

11 And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser aportion of the word until they bknow nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the cchains of dhell.



This morning, how will this message help me to act on the inspiration and revelation I received Friday night? How will knowing a little be enough to help me find work?



Well, I know what He told me. I recorded the thoughts as they came. I came away with insights and ideas, but most importantly with specific actions and activities that I could and should take. I don't know if SW needs those projects or if they will approve them. But I do know that I had inspired thoughts and that there were specific actions that were called out. I know enough to act on those, in faith. I know enough to act on them in faith and then to ask Heavenly Father to bless those actions to be fruitful, or to bring forth fruit.



I can pray that Heavenly Father will bless me with tender mercies in the mean time, that my faith may be sustained, that I will not grow weary in my mind, but know that He is mindful of our needs and involved in helping us come to the solution.

No comments: